In applying for membership or renewal of membership, I pledge that:
- I shall at all times ensure all dogs under my control are appropriately cared for in regards to shelter, food, water, exercise, and veterinary care.
- I have never had my membership to any animal club or association revoked or suspended, or if so, I have disclosed this to the GANA board for consideration for membership.
- I will register/license my dogs with all state and local required organizations. If a kennel license is required, I will not operate a breeding program without obtaining one.
- I will treat my fellow breeders with respect at all times.
- I shall always breed with the soundness or betterment of the Goldendoodle in mind. I will not breed any dog/bitch that has not been tested or has failed any of the requirements listed in the “Required Health Tests”. When using a non-GANA (outside) stud, that stud must be registered with a GANA number which requires him to meet the pedigree requirements for registration with GANA. When using any outside stud that does not meet the ribbon level of the bitch, the GANA member’s (bitch owner’s) ribbon level will be reduced to that of the stud. A member breeder’s ribbon level will be that of their lowest level breeding dog.
- I will not sell/trade any of my dogs or puppies to any commercial animal wholesaler or retail pet dealers/traders.
- I will not sell/trade/release a puppy under the age of 7 weeks or before the minimum age requirement for my state.
- I will give/sell/trade all puppies with a written spay/neuter requirement or I will have the puppies spayed/neutered before leaving me unless puppies are sold with breeding rights.
- I will have all puppies examined by my vet prior to placement as pets or breeders and will provide proof of this exam to the new owner upon their request.
- I will educate new puppy owners to the best of my ability as to the proper care and welfare of the puppy.
- I will offer email and phone support of new puppy owners before and after the puppy leaves my care.
- I agree to help re-home any dog that originated from by breeding stock should the need arise.
- I will provide record of all vaccinations, de-wormings, and veterinary care as well as a GANA puppy registration Certificate with each puppy that leaves my care.
- I will not guarantee hypoallergenic qualities or non-shedding coats to any customer.
- I will keep written records of my breeding stock’s offspring and document any noted or report genetic defects. I will not pair those that show repeated defects of an inhibiting nature in their offspring.
- I will provide a warranty for life-inhibiting genetic defects until at least 2 years of age. I understand that each breeder’s warranty will vary somewhat, but I will not require a puppy/dog to be returned for a warranty to be exercised. The required use of any supplements or specific brand of food is not allowed. Exercise limitations can be requested, but not required. It is at my discretion as to whether to offer a monetary assistance or to replace the puppy with a like puppy. The minimum monetary assistance is 50% of the purchase price of the puppy, not including shipping fees.
- I will maintain a website that meets GANA’s requirements which include but are not limited to 1) A current copy of my two year genetic defect warranty will be displayed at all times, 2) No guarantees of hypo-allergenic coats are made, and 3) No specific brand of food or supplements are required. If I make changes to my warranty displayed on my website, I will provide the GANA Registrar with a copy of my updated warranty.
- I will not breed any dog/bitch to a related dog/bitch within 3 generations.
- I will select breeding pairs with the specific goal of producing the best health, conformation, temperament, and coats.
- I will make certain that any buyer given breeding rights with a puppy understands and follows ethical breeding practices.
- I will not surrender a pet or breeding dog to any rescue, animal control or shelter. I will find an appropriate pet home.
- I will keep my dogs up to date on necessary vaccines for my area or I will titer them to ensure they have the appropriate immunities. I will vaccinate all puppies between 6-8 weeks of age according to my state laws; or base appropriate vaccine timing on the results of a nomograph (bitch) or titers (puppies) and administer accordingly. I will de-worm all puppies a minimum of two times prior to 8 weeks of age.
- I agree that I either own the breeding rights or have contracted the use of the breeding rights for all dogs used in my breeding program.
- I will not knowingly or intentionally withhold medical or testing information on a bitch/dog when selling breeding stock to another breeder.
- I shall act with integrity and in a professional, courteous manner with all my business practices. I will respect all people regardless of age, culture, disability, gender, language, racial origin, religious beliefs, and sexual orientation.
By virtue of becoming and remaining a GANA breeder, if a dispute arises between GANA breeders out of or related to a contract, or the alleged breach thereof, and if the dispute is not settled through negotiation, I agree first to try in good faith to settle the dispute by mediation before resorting to arbitration or litigation.
*Mediation is a means of resolving disputes out of court. Mediation can improve understanding between parties, and provide an alternative to costly and time-consuming legal proceedings.
GANA works hard to ensure that our breeders have ethical breeding practices. However, GANA cannot be responsible for the breeding practices of any breeder listed on GANA; as the customer you still need to ask questions of your breeder. Upon request, your breeder should be able to supply you with proof of health testing as well as references.
The Code of Ethics pertains to breeding practices and to business practices that breeders have with their direct clients and each other. Due to free speech rights, we are unable to accept complaints that have to do with social media, verbal, or email or similar discussions, personal interactions, or any situation in which a breeder expresses an opinion. We cannot control the free speech of GANA breeders, nor do we want to. If you feel there’s a situation in which speech is egregious enough to take action, please consult your attorney. Any complaints not directly related to breeding practices or direct business interactions with GANA breeders will be discarded as that is well beyond the scope of our authority.
If you feel that a GANA breeder has failed to live up the code of ethics, contact us.